AEC Punches Back at the Coronavirus
AEC’s Toy & Gift Giveaway
- On Saturday, December 19, 2020, AEC sponsored a drive-through toy distribution for 144 families (417 children). AEC wishes to thank all of its partners, especially the Deep Well Project, the residents of Palmetto Dunes, Hilton Head First Presbyterian Church’s Knitters Club, the Salvation Army, and all others who supported this worthy cause.
- On Wednesday, December 23rd, 2020, AEC also sponsored a toy distribution for 50 families in Estill, SC (Hampton County).
Donations of Backpacks Filled with School Supplies for Nearly 500 Students
Because learning matters so much, even during these challenging times facing the Coronavirus, AEC donated Christmas gifts of brand new backpacks filled with school supplies to Whale Branch Elementary and Middle Schools in Beaufort County. There is no limit to what we can do when we ALL work together!
Donations of School Supplies to Childcare Center in Jasper County
Currently, the largest needs that Jasper County’s low income community has are affordable childcare and affordable transportation. AEC is committed to helping in both of these areas. Recently, a new childcare center opened in Ridgeland called the Beacon of Hope Learning Center. AEC has pledged to support this new facility and any other such effort in Jasper County. In fulfilling this pledge, AEC recently made two donations of school supplies to this agency. AEC urges other entities to support this most worthy cause in Jasper County.
Thanksgiving Dinner Distribution
AEC held its annual Thanksgiving Day Give Back Dinner, providing 1,000 catered meals to Jasper County residents. Multiple news outlets covered the event. Read more in our Newsfeed …
- AEC stepped up and fed 1,000 students during the Jasper County School District’s 2020 Spring Break.
- AEC feeds many of Jasper County’s low-income residents through its food pantries in Coosawhatchie, Pineland, and Tarboro.
- AEC’s food pantries have added additional days of distribution to provide additional food for Jasper County’s residents.
- Because of the generosity of Jasper County’s neighbors (especially Hilton Head Island), AEC has more than doubled its food distribution.
- Much of this help has been made possible with the help of AEC’s partners (Hilton Head First Presbyterian Church’s Work-in-Progress (WIP) Ministry). Work-in-Progress and other dedicated volunteers repeatedly shop, fill many vehicles, and then travel to Jasper County to help feed many of their neighbors who are in need .
Rental and Mortgage Relief and Utility Assistance
- AEC works to provide rental and mortgage assistance relief to Jasper County residents.
- AEC also assists some of Jasper County’s low-income residents through referrals to Deep Well.
- AEC works to provide utility assistance to Jasper County residents through some of its partners (United Way of the Lowcountry, Beaufort-Jasper EOC, and the Salvation Army).
Drive-Thru School Supplies & Food Distribution
- AEC collects school supplies and funds to help some of Jasper County’s low-income children.
- AEC, and its partners, will host two drive-through school supply events during the 2020-2021 school year.
- AEC provided school supplies for all of Jasper County’s Head Start students during the 2020-2021 school year.
Increasing Backpack Buddies Program
- During the last school year (2019-20), AEC and its partners served 350 students by providing backpacks each week at the Ridgeland and Hardeeville Elementary Schools.
- Because of the impact of the Coronavirus, AEC has secured funding to increase its Backpack Buddies Program from 350 students to 600 students during the 2020-2021 school year.
- This tremendous increase was made possible by the strong partnerships AEC maintains with the Lowcountry Foodbank, the Deep Well Project, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, All Saints Episcopal Church, and First Presbyterian Church’s WIP Ministry.
SC Legal Services
- Prior to the Coronavirus, AEC provided free legal services to many of Jasper County’s low-income residents.
- Since the onset of the virus, AEC has received triple its number of requests for legal assistance.
- The staff of AEC works extremely hard to keep up with the ever-growing demand in the areas of landlord-tenant, workman’s compensation, child support issues, and more.