AEC Takes a No-Holds Barred Approach to the Coronavirus
- AEC stepped up and fed 1,000 students during the Jasper County School District’s 2020 Spring Break.
- AEC feeds many of Jasper County’s low-income residents through its food pantries in Coosawhatchie, Pineland, and Tarboro.
- AEC’s food pantries have added additional days of distribution to provide additional food for Jasper County’s residents.
- Because of the generosity of Jasper County’s neighbors (especially Hilton Head Island), AEC has more than doubled its food distribution.
- Much of this help has been made possible with the help of AEC’s partners (Hilton Head First Presbyterian Church’s Work-in-Progress (WIP) Ministry). Work-in-Progress and other dedicated volunteers repeatedly shop, fill many vehicles, and then travel to Jasper County to help feed many of their neighbors who are in need .
Rental and Mortgage Relief and Utility Assistance
- AEC works to provide rental and mortgage assistance relief to Jasper County residents.
- AEC also assists some of Jasper County’s low-income residents through referrals to Deep Well.
- AEC works to provide utility assistance to Jasper County residents through some of its partners (United Way of the Lowcountry, Beaufort-Jasper EOC, and the Salvation Army).
Drive-Thru School Supplies
- AEC collects school supplies and funds to help some of Jasper County’s low-income children.
- AEC, and its partners, will host two drive-through school supply events during the 2020-2021 school year.
- AEC provided school supplies for all of Jasper County’s Head Start students during the 2020-2021 school year.
Increasing Backpack Buddies Program
- During the last school year (2019-20), AEC and its partners served 350 students by providing backpacks each week at the Ridgeland and Hardeeville Elementary Schools.
- Because of the impact of the Coronavirus, AEC has secured funding to increase its Backpack Buddies Program from 350 students to 600 students during the 2020-2021 school year.
- This tremendous increase was made possible by the strong partnerships AEC maintains with the Lowcountry Foodbank, the Deep Well Project, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, All Saints Episcopal Church, and First Presbyterian Church’s WIP Ministry.
SC Legal Services
- Prior to the Coronavirus, AEC provided free legal services to many of Jasper County’s low-income residents.
- Since the onset of the virus, AEC has received triple its number of requests for legal assistance.
- The staff of AEC works extremely hard to keep up with the ever-growing demand in the areas of landlord-tenant, workman’s compensation, child support issues, and more.